Thomas Huckaby Photo_edited.jpg

Marguerite and A.M. Thomas Memorial Education Scholarship

The Marguerite and A.M. Thomas Memorial Education Scholarship was founded by Jeff and Michelle Huckaby (CSUB alumni Jeff ‘89 and Michelle ’88, ’92) to honor the memory and legacy of Michelle’s paternal grandparents. A.M. and Marguerite were married in 1932 at the height of the depression and jobs were scarce. At the urging of A.M.’s brother and with his financial backing, they both went to college at Central State University in Edmund, OK, graduating in 1939. After a brief teaching career in Oklahoma, the Thomases accepted positions at the Lost Hills School District in northwest Kern County in 1947. A.M. became the Superintendent/Principal and Marguerite the kindergarten teacher. Marguerite retired in 1977 after thirty years of service and A.M. retired the following year after 31 years of service. In 1997, shortly before A.M.’s death, the Lost Hills School District built and dedicated its cafeteria/auditorium in his honor, naming it the Thomas Pavilion. Additionally, at that time they renamed the middle school to the A.M. Thomas Middle School in his honor. Together A.M. and Marguerite raised a family and built a life, instilling the value and importance of education to their children and grandchildren. Because education was so important to A.M. and Marguerite and to their children and grandchildren, this scholarship is being offered to education majors with priority given to applicants from the Lost Hills School District and Wasco High School.